As is widely known today, cardiovascular disease is the main cause of both morbidity and mortality in Greece as well as the world over. Cardiovascular disease affects all population groups, yet quite often it impacts on young productive and active people resulting in unpleasant social and personal consequences.
It is, as a result, an imperative need and a major social service that quality health services are provided in the field of cardiovascular disease treatment.
Mediterraneo Hospital has a perfectly organized, fully equipped and scientifically efficient cardiology department, which is on stand-by 24/7, able to treat directly and effectively any acute or chronic cardiac incident.
- Close monitoring of hospitalized patients in state-of-the- art wards and rooms.
- Excellent coverage for severely and critically ill patients in our hospital’s High Dependency Unit (H.D.U.) & Intensive Care Unit (I.C.U.).
- Experienced physicians of all medical specialties along with the respective specialized units and labs manage cardiac in-house patients.
Non Invasive Diagnostic Tests
- Ultrasonopgraphy- Cardiac Triplex
- Stress echo testing
- Stress Test
- Pressure Holter
- Rate Holter
- Tilt Test
- Pacemaker and defibrillator check
- Preventive cardiology
Invasive Diagnostic Tests
Minimally invasive diagnostic acts
- Coronary angiography: coronary vessels are imaged to assess scope for a possible operation to open up obstructed/stenotic vessels.
- Full cardiac catheterization: heart ventricular pressure measurement, coronary angiography, left ventriculography, aortogram, cardiac output and vascular resistance measurements.
Therapeutic interventional acts
- Percutaneous coronary angioplasty: balloon angioplasty is used to open the stenotic lumen of one or more of the coronary arteries, along with stent placement and blood flow restoration.
- Primary angioplasty: currently this is the most up-to-date and effective method in managing acute coronary episodes (unstable angina, myocardial infarct). It may be conducted in the Hemodynamics Lab round the clock; the lab’s human resources consist of the most experienced and skilled medical and nursing staff as well as technologists.
- Implantation of a pacemaker, defibrillator implantation, Electrophysiological testing, Ablation.
- Percutaneous aortic valve implantation. Performed on selected patients, who are considered too high risk for aortic valve replacement surgery. It is normally done without general anesthesia, in an appropriately equipped room (hybrid hemodynamic – operating room, the first in Greece).