Nutrition indisputably plays an important role in maintaining good health and it is considerably modified during disease. The latter is of particular value, especially because this modification helps the body to meet its nutritional requirements which are totally different due to increased catabolism and stress. Nowadays, a significant number of scientific studies confirm the benefits of quality nutrition in the outcome of the treatment plan, as well as in reducing the hospitalization period for patients.
Mediterraneo’s Nutrition Department provides personalized nutritional services to hospitalized patients.
The role of the clinical dietitian includes:
- Cooperation with all departments such as cardiology, surgery, obesity surgery, heart surgery, pathology, gastrointestinal, Intensive Care Unit (I.C.U.) & High Dependency Unit (H.D.U.).
- Adjustment of the patient’s nutritional needs and the design of customized dietary guidelines taking into account the patient’s dietary preferences.
- Feeding intervention to patients with special dietary needs. After completion of the nutritional assessment, special dietary supplements may be administered, beyond the standard nutrition, when the patient’s nutritional needs are not being met, but also when oral feeding is impossible and enteral or parenteral feeding has been decided..
Mediterraneo’s clinical dietitian team:
- is responsible for the coordination of the health and safety food system (System ISO), regarding security issues on feeding the clinic’s patients. The hospital dietary menu is carefully designed to meet the nutritional needs of hospitalized patients, according to their disease.
- delivers talks and presentations to the medical and nursing staff regarding nutritional interventions in clinical diseases.
- monitors, regularly, the newest scientific data through attending conferences and seminars in Greece and abroad.
The purpose of the Nutrition Department is to improve the nutritional status of patients while hospitalized, by applying the most modern scientific methods.
PREGNANCY AND NUTRITIONAL GUIDELINES
Α woman who enters pregnancy in an inadequate nutritional status has a risk of having poor pregnancy performance, of depleting her own body stores of nutrients, and of entering lactation in a state of suboptimal nutritional status, which could deteriorate further as lactation progresses.
THE NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF WALNUTS
Walnuts have the highest value among dried nut, as they protect the body from chronic diseases (cardiovascular and neurological diseases, as well as some forms of prostate and breast cancer). This is mainly due to their antioxidant and antithrombotic activity. Walnuts contain the highest amount of omega3 fatty acids from all other dried nuts, in the form of alpha-linoleic acid.
HEALTHY EATING FOR A HEALTHY HEART
Making some changes to your diet could help reduce the risk of heart disease, especially if you’ve already had a heart attack (M.I.). We should eat foods in the right balance to ensure that we are getting the right amount of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fats and protein).